Eat My Sandwich

Keeping up with yesterday...


Missing the Lucky One

It's easy to distract yourself when you are busy. I know most people wouldn't take it as a compliment if you tell them you missed them when you felt jobless, but I think it is still a major compliment.

There are so many things you could do or think about when you are bored and feeling jobless. To be perfectly honest, if you are interesting enough, you can never really be bored. What happens is that you miss someone so much that you feel like there is nothing that could make up for that person's presence; hence you feel bored. Possibly because it's impossible to meet or be with that special someone.

I often realize that there aren't many people that I really miss as I'm away from 'home'. In fact, I am quite close to making my own home here in Singapore. But there are some people - a number I can count on my fingertips - who I miss so much every single day. They are the only people that make me miss 'home'.

I wish Pakistan was as close to Singapore as Malaysia is. The distance from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, which feels like it could be Lahore somehow, is about the same as a road trip from Lahore to Islamabad - Islamabad being the only 'planned' city in Pakistan where we have sectors, blocks and a lot of parallel and perpendicular roads - trying to say Islamabad is like Singapore in this comparison.

Anyway. You know who you are. And I miss you to bits. If graduation, getting a money-making job to get a wife, to get children and to raise a family weren't my top priority, I would just give up this whole business of being abroad and return home.

Life is quite peaceful here. People are generally nice - at least on the outside - and there is almost no racism here - at least on the outside. I would want my children to be raised in such a safe environment. But to make that happen there are so many other things that need to happen that it makes even the most strong-willed people doubt themselves.

Do you believe in palmistry? I ask as if it's similar to belief in a certain God, but I think that is how it is. There isn't a lot of proof to show that palmistry, karma or astrology are real. Somehow we tend to believe that there must be something awfully true about these things.

I don't have a luck line on either of my hands. It strikes me as strange because my hand is the only one I have ever tried to read that doesn't have a luck line. People always have a luck line - whether it's on the hand they inherit from their parents, or their self-made hand; whether it cuts off randomly or it is full or criss-crossed. But I don't have anything.

Does that mean I am not 'blessed' with any good luck? Or does that mean I am lucky not to have any luck line because everything that I work for will be achievable and I won't be sabotaged by my luck line dominating my life? Maybe it just means I won't have any bad luck?

The wise always have something wise to say about luck. Some say it's about being at the right place at the right time. Others say luck is the same as intelligent guesses in multiple choice questions - you can't ignore the role luck plays but you can certainly increase your odds. Yet there are others that just believe in hard work and think that luck doesn't deserve any consideration in our lives.

I guess I am just bragging on and on so I will stop here as this post doesn't seem to have any conclusion - or a topic for that matter, but if you think you can give one, by all means, leave a comment.

Author's note: I wrote this post a few days ago but because of lack of Internet I never got around to posting it. So naturally it had to make its way to Eat My Sandwich: Keeping up with yesterday...

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Responses to “Missing the Lucky One”

Post a Comment


Web This Blog

Chat



Free shoutbox @ ShoutMix


Coach Purses & Handbags are among the most sought after brands in fashion handbags.
Coach Handbag

    eXTReMe Tracker

    XML

    Powered by Blogger

    make money online blogger templates





© 2007 Eat My Sandwich | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.